Your first lesson
When you arrive at your first lesson you will be welcomed by our friendly and professional Northstar Staff.
At your first lesson, you will fill in some basic details, so you might want to come to class a couple of minutes early. You will receive all the latest information on, class times, membership plans and how to get your best value for your time and money.
New people start training with us at every class.
Don’t worry, it does not matter if you have not worked out for a while, you will soon find your own level in class. We want you to get the most out of your class so our trainers are taught to be interactive with the group. We pay particular attention to new people and will assist you as much as we can during the class. We recommend comfortable work out gear.
What you will learn in your first class.
- You will begin the class with a light stretch.
- Then it is straight into punching and kicking moves and combinations.
- The moves are quite simple and you will be carefully monitored.
- During this part of the class expect to sweat it out.
- There will be push-ups, sit-ups and other exercises using your body weight.
- At the halfway mark you can stop and have a water break (though you can have a break whenever you feel like it.)
- Then it’s onto the pads. This is where you practise your combinations and technique full force against the pads. It’s a great work out and good for self defence.
- You will be taught a simple move called “multiple defence”. It is designed to raise your awareness for self defence. There will also be some techniques on the ground as this is quite important and fun.
- Speaking of self defence, you will then finish by learning what to do if some one grabs you on the arm or wrist, how to gain control and create distance
- At the end of class the trainer or mentor will then go through the membership process.
So the class is not difficult, in fact learning martial arts should be simple and fun.
Fitness, flexibility and awareness play a large part in the class, as learning a martial art is not just learning how to fight. It is a complete program to enhance the quality of your life, body, mind and spirit.