2012 is well and truly underway. If you are new to Northstar…”welcome”, it is great to have you with us. And a huge welcome back to all our regular members. I want “Northstar” to be your safe sanctuary. What I mean by that is, a place where you can go to and let the worries and stress of the day subside. To do this takes a sense of presence and awareness. So whether you are a parent or a student, whenever you hear, see or think of Northstar Martial Arts, give your full attention and practice still present awareness. Use Northstar to “de stress” and let it all go.
Learning self defence is the easy part, making awareness part of your life takes practice…awareness and self defence go hand in hand…I often say to the students that the first step in learning to defend your self is to become still and aware, there by giving you a brief space to respond…instead of reacting out of habit. So real “mastery” in martial arts is an inward journey of conscious awareness…not an external show of power and strength. Every action that we take at Northstar is to help you on your journey towards personal excellence. One of our motivating postcards that we send out at random says: Determination: The whole world will move apart for a man that is determined. This “man” is in no way a jibe at women in any way. It is “man” as in Mankind, and human. My sincere apologies if this has offended in any way.
Grading is coming up, details are below. Fighting Spirit Sparring Competition has been postponed. Friday Fight Night is back.
Grading Register is now OPEN.
Friday 23rd March Balmain.
Adults Blue Belt to Red Belt. 6.30 – 9pm
Sunday 25th March.
Adults White belt to Blue Tip 8 – 9.30am.
Children 10 -12.30pm
Register Here. (Don’t delay as we will be closing the register early)
Make up classes for children.
Please call the office on 9810 5790 to check availability of make up classes. Last Saturday we had a situation at Balmain where the class was full of make up students. We simply cannot plan if we are not notified prior. Thanks for your assistance.
The Brilliance of Gozo Shioda Aikido Master
Inspiration: Facing the Giants..
10 daily disciplines.
These are pretty basic and you can adjust them to suit. I use variations of these.
- Every 2nd day set the alarm 15 minutes early. Do some basic movement and stretching, take the dog for a walk, or simply just water the garden.
- Have breakfast. Include 2 pieces of fruit in your breakfast. Add bran and/or psylium husks.
- Have only one cup of coffee (if you want to go all out, make it a regular and not a large or every second day choose chai instead of coffee.)
- Leave the TV off in the morning.
- Take a mid morning 60 second recharge. Just stop, turn away from what you are doing and breathe into your stomach, expanding the stomach on the in breath and contracting the stomach on the out breath.
- Choose a salad sandwich with chicken or tuna on wholemeal bread. Butter instead of avocado, for lunch.
- Don’t watch the news or buy a paper for a week. See how you feel.If it is important enough some one will tell you.
- Watch what you say and how you say it. See how it impacts you and others.
- Raise the heart beat for at least 30 minutes, 3 times pure week. Walk fast, jog, swim or cycle. Your body will love you for it.
- The last thing you think about before you sleep will be the first thing you think about when you wake up. So be careful how you leave the day.
These are just some basic ways to start replacing bad habits with good daily rituals.
Taken from Andy Sensei’s : Why some people win and others continually fall short.
In Japan fighting in the final of the “All Japan Open Ju Jutsu Championships” Tokyo 1998. MMA was in it’s infancy and I am pretty sure this was pre UFC. It was 43c in the room. My opponent was a University Judo Champion…I had to stay away from his throws, so set a strategy to keep moving and tag him when he moves…seemed to work…
Like us on face book.
Follow us on Twitter
Andy’s quote of the week :
Stress is associated with effort under pressure and this is not usually fun or positive. I replace the word ‘stress’ with ‘enthusiasm’ as much as possible. So though I am busy I am having an enthusiastic day…. Andy
I hope I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an Honest Man. – George Washington
SHINBUDO-ism (a list of quotes by Andy Sensei that you may hear in class).
Every martial art is a mixed martial Art (MMA) it has to be! Every top Instructor who has the courage to pioneer his own system and belief’s has an incredible background in several martial arts. Shinbudo is a Traditional MMA…